MMA Classes Near Me Gray Summit, MO
MMA Classes Near Me Gray Summit, MO. If you want to get in the best shape of your life and meet your ideal weight, climbing onto a treadmill or pedaling miles to nowhere on an exercise bike a few times a week in some Gray Summit, MO gym just isn’t going to get the job done. You need to give Gracie Barra Washington and its mixed martial arts (MMA) classes near you a try today.
MMA combines many styles of martial arts into an exciting and new physical challenge, toning every muscle and burning fat better than other forms of exercise you’ll find at the Gray Summit, MO gym. Not only that, MMA classes at Gracie Barra Washington work every faction of physical fitness – developing strength, endurance, and flexibility all at the same time.
The Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you in Gray Summit, MO are a fun way to learn self-defense, practice the sport, and build an appreciation of what is happening in the moment, both inside and outside the ring. The classes are for anyone and everyone who wants to grasp and then master the ins and outs of one of the most popular disciplines in the world. Call Gracie Barra Washington as soon as possible at 636-266-9388 or contact us online.
MMA Classes Near Me in Gray Summit, MO: What Exactly is MMA?
Allowing a wide variety of fighting techniques and skills from a conglomerate of other martial arts to be used in competition, MMA is a full-contact sport. The rules allow usage of both grappling and striking techniques while on the ground and/or standing. Tournaments and competitions near Gray Summit, MO allow athletes of different disciplines of martial arts to take part under a set of unified rules.
Although its beginnings are believed to date back to ancient Greece with pankration, MMA’s contemporary style and form was popularized by brothers Carlos and Helio Gracie in 1925. The Gracies garnered attention by issuing the “Gracie Challenge” in area newspapers, proclaiming in advertisements: “If you want a broken arm, or rib, contact Carlos Gracie.” MMA first drew the attention of many the attention of many in North America after the Gracie family chose to demonstrate its trademark Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the U.S. in 1990. Helio’s son, Royce Gracie, represented the family in a 1993 tournament in Denver, Colorado, called UFC 1, referring to Ultimate Fighting Championship, the organization that quickly became a MMA behemoth. The competition attracted 86,000 pay-per-view viewers. That amount increased to 300,000 by the third event.
Initially condemned by critics as a brutal bloodsport without any rules — the late politician John McCain once referred to MMA as “human cockfighting” and sought to have it banished — the sport moderately shed its no-holds-barred image and has become one of the world’s fastest growing spectator sports. Once on the precipice of extinction in 2001, the UFC now has an estimated value of $9-10 billion.
Gracie Barra is the home of the world’s premier MMA team, offering MMA classes near you in Gray Summit, MO with programs for men, teens, and kids. The Gracie organization features over 400 gyms in North America and 900 worldwide, and your membership opens the door to any of them. Call us now to begin Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes at 636-266-9388 or contact us.
In addition to our MMA classes, Gracie Barra Washington provides the following programs for our Gray Summit, MO neighbors:
MMA Classes Near Me in Gray Summit, MO: What Techniques Does MMA Borrow From?
Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you, your whole body will be trained and toned, while learning how to personally mix some of the world’s most efficient fighting techniques into one speciality that you can utilize in the ring during competitions near Gray Summit, MO or for self-defense. MMA is the mixture of martial arts, the blend of attacks that consistently keep students on their toes. Our MMA classes near you in Gray Summit, MO assimilate techniques from the following styles:
- Boxing – Referred to as the “sweet science,” Gray Summit, MO boxers use detailed foot movements and quick jabs for offense.
- Wrestling – Considered the oldest sport throughout the world, the premise of wrestling is a contestant battles hand-to-hand, trying to throw or pin their opponent without strikes. Some wrestling styles include freestyle, Greco-Roman, and catch-as-catch-can.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu – Our founder Carlos Gracie opened the original Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 1925. He taught the skills he learned from Japanese judo master Mitsuyo Esai Maeda. Those skills were later modified to use less strength and to be more functional against bigger opponents, an evident advantageous adaptation for MMA classes near Gray Summit, MO.
- Jiu-Jitsu – An ancient Japanese martial art that includes striking, joint locks, throwing, and even weapons training.
- Judo – A Japanese martial art founded in 1882 by Jigoro Kano and evolved from Jiu Jitsu. Judo is now an Olympic sport spotlighting throws. Kicking/punching is prohibited, which is great as a practical instructing tool for newcomers in our MMA classes near you in Gray Summit, MO.
- Karate – The term used to identify a variety of Japanese and Okinawan martial arts. While known for powerful, linear techniques — many of which have been adapted into MMA fighting — a bunch of karate styles also include softer, rounded styles. Some of the popular modes of karate include:
- Kickboxing – A lively martial art combining martial arts kicks with boxing punches. Many contrasting styles with differing rules exist, such as Muay Thai, full-contact karate, and Lethwei.
- Kung Fu – Commonly referred to as Gung Fu, Chinese Boxing, and Wu Shu. There are hundreds of styles of Kung Fu, some practiced near Gray Summit, MO, and many of which are patterned after animal movements.
- Taekwondo – Probably the practiced martial arts in the world, Taekwondo is a Korean technique popular for its garish kicking moves.
MMA Classes Near Me in Gray Summit, MO: How Does MMA Teach Me Self-Defense?
MMA classes near you at Gracie Barra Washington give you the self-confidence you need to protect yourself. Self-defense is as much about correct training as it is about strength and size in Gray Summit, MO. The biggest, beefiest guy in the Gray Summit, MO area can still lose a confrontation if he is not trained properly. MMA is the ultimate fighting method because it uses the best techniques from the various martial arts above, combined to give you precisely what you need to defend yourself the ones you love in any circumstance. You will be ready for whatever dangers you encounter the in Gray Summit, MO area, based on the training and sparring in our classes near Gray Summit, MO.
Movement is power in any fight. You can’t stand around waiting for your opponent’s next strike, you must move. And quickly. Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you in Gray Summit, MO help develop a fighter’s reflex, which permits you to move smartly and quickly in any position. You will know precisely where/when to move and where/when to throw your strike.
Reach Out to the Home of the Best MMA Classes Near Me in Gray Summit, MO | Gracie Barra Washington
The Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you in Gray Summit, MO combine a calorie-burning and cardiovascular workout, burning up to 1,000 calories per hour, with muscle toning. That is an ideal pairing for newcomers who want to lose weight, due to the fact that building muscle also increases the metabolism. Also ideal is the stress relief MMA provides, which transfers into your personal and work life in Gray Summit, MO, providing you with a needed outlet for negative emotions and energy. Consistent stress is bad for both your mind and body in Gray Summit, MO.