MMA Classes Near Me Union, MO
MMA Classes Near Me Union, MO. If you want to get in the best shape of your life and meet your ideal weight, pedaling miles to nowhere on an exercise bike or climbing onto a treadmill a few times a week in some Union, MO gym just isn’t going to suffice. You need to give mixed martial arts (MMA) classes near you at Gracie Barra Washington.
MMA merges many forms of martial arts into a new and exciting physical challenge, toning every muscle and burning fat better than other forms of exercise you will find at the Union, MO gym. Not only that, MMA classes at Gracie Barra Washington work every aspect of physical fitness – developing strength, flexibility and endurance all at once.
The Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you in Union, MO are an ideal way to learn self-defense, practice the sport, and develop an appreciation of what’s happening in the moment, both inside and outside the ring. The classes are for anyone and everyone who wants to learn and then master the ins and outs of one of the fastest growing disciplines in the world. Call Gracie Barra Washington right away at 636-266-9388 or contact us online.
MMA Classes Near Me in Union, MO: What Exactly is MMA?
Allowing a wide variety of fighting techniques and skills from a conglomerate of other martial arts to be used in competition, MMA is a full-contact sport. The rules allow usage of both striking and grappling techniques while standing and/or on the ground. Tournaments and competitions near Union, MO permit athletes of varying disciplines of martial arts to engage under a unified set of rules.
Although its origins are thought to date back to ancient Greece with pankration, MMA’s current form and style was made popular by brothers Carlos and Helio Gracie in 1925. The Gracies got eyes on them by putting the “Gracie Challenge” in area newspapers, declaring: “If you want a broken arm, or rib, contact Carlos Gracie.” MMA first came to the attention of many the attention of many in North America after the Gracie family chose to demonstrate its trademark Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the U.S. in 1990. Helio’s son, Royce Gracie, represented the family in a 1993 tournament in Denver, Colorado, called UFC 1, referring to Ultimate Fighting Championship, the operation that quickly became a MMA behemoth. The competition secured 86,000 pay-per-view viewers. That number jumped to 300,000 by the third event.
Initially condemned by critics as a brutal bloodsport without any regulations — the late politician John McCain once referred to MMA as “human cockfighting” and tried to have it prohibited — the sport moderately shed its no-holds-barred persona and has emerged as one of the world’s fastest growing spectator sports. Once on the precipice of extinction in 2001, the UFC now has an estimated value of $9-10 billion.
Gracie Barra is home to the world’s best MMA team, offering MMA classes near you in Union, MO with programs for men, teens, and kids. The Gracie institution features over 400 gyms in North America and 900 worldwide, and your membership gets you into any of them. Give us a call now to get started in Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes at 636-266-9388 or contact us.
In addition to our MMA classes, Gracie Barra Washington provides the following programs for our Union, MO neighbors:
MMA Classes Near Me in Union, MO: What Techniques Does MMA Borrow From?
In the MMA classes near you at Gracie Barra Washington, your entire physique will be toned and trained, while developing a plan to uniquely combine some of the area’s most effective fighting techniques into one speciality that you can use in self-defense or in the ring during competitions near Union, MO. MMA is the blend of attacks, the mixture of martial arts that constantly keep fighters on their toes. Our MMA classes near you in Union, MO incorporate techniques from these styles:
- Boxing – Referred to as the “sweet science,” Union, MO boxers use elaborate foot movements and quick jabs for offense.
- Wrestling – Considered the world’s oldest sport, the basis of wrestling is a contestant fights hand-to-hand, trying to throw or pin their opponent without striking blows. Some wrestling modes include freestyle, Greco-Roman, and catch-as-catch-can.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu – Our namesake Carlos Gracie opened the original Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 1925. He taught the skills he picked up from Japanese judo master Mitsuyo Esai Maeda. Those skills were later altered to use less energy and to be more effective against larger opponents, an apparent advantageous adoption for MMA classes near Union, MO.
- Jiu-Jitsu – An ancient Japanese martial art that includes striking, joint locks, throwing, and even weapons training.
- Judo – A Japanese martial art founded in 1882 by Jigoro Kano and evolved from Jiu Jitsu. Judo is now an Olympic sport emphasizing throws. Attacking is banned, which is great as a practical instructing tool for beginners in our MMA classes near you in Union, MO.
- Karate – The name used to identify a variety of Okinawan and Japanese martial arts. While known for powerful, linear maneuvers — many of which have been adapted into MMA fighting — several karate styles also incorporate lighter, circular styles. Some of the common styles of karate are:
- Kickboxing – A sportive martial art combining martial arts kicks with boxing punches. Many distinct styles with differing rules exist, such as Muay Thai, full-contact karate, and Lethwei.
- Kung Fu – Commonly referred to as Gung Fu, Chinese Boxing, and Wu Shu. There are hundreds of styles of Kung Fu, some practiced near Union, MO, and the multitude are influenced by movements of animals.
- Taekwondo – Probably the practiced martial arts in the world, Taekwondo is a Korean style known for its flashy kicking moves.
MMA Classes Near Me in Union, MO: How Does MMA Teach Me Self-Defense?
MMA classes near you at Gracie Barra Washington give you the confidence necessary to protect yourself. Self-defense is as much about correct training as it is about size and strength in Union, MO. The biggest, strongest guy in the Union, MO area can still lose a fight if he’s not trained properly. MMA is the ultimate fighting method because it uses the best techniques from the various martial arts above, combined to give you exactly what you need to protect yourself or your loved ones in any circumstance. You will be ready for whatever dangers you encounter the in Union, MO area, based on the sparring and training in our classes near Union, MO.
Movement is power in any confrontation. You can’t stand around and wait for your opponent’s next strike, you must move. And quickly. The MMA classes near you in Union, MO at Gracie Barra Washington help develop a fighter’s reflex, which allows you to move smartly and quickly in any situation. You will know precisely where/when to strike and where/when to move.
Reach Out to the Home of the Best MMA Classes Near Me in Union, MO | Gracie Barra Washington
The Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you in Union, MO combine a cardiovascular and calorie-burning workout, burning up to 1,000 calories an hour, with muscle toning. That is the perfect combination for newcomers who are looking to lose weight, due to the fact that building muscle also increases the metabolism. Also ideal is the stress relief MMA provides, which transfers into your personal and work life in Union, MO, providing you with a needed outlet for negative emotions and energy. Constant stress is bad for both your body and mind in Union, MO.