MMA Classes Near Me Augusta, MO
MMA Classes Near Me Augusta, MO. If you want to get in great shape and meet your ideal weight, climbing onto a treadmill or pedaling miles to nowhere on an exercise bike a few times a week in some Augusta, MO gym just is not going to suffice. You need to give Gracie Barra Washington and its mixed martial arts (MMA) classes near you a try today.
MMA integrates many forms of martial arts into a new and exciting physical challenge, toning every muscle and burning fat better than other methods of exercise you will find at the Augusta, MO gym. Not only that, MMA classes at Gracie Barra Washington work every aspect of physical fitness – building strength, endurance, and flexibility all at the same time.
The Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you in Augusta, MO are a fun way to practice the sport, learn self-defense, and develop an understanding of what’s going on in the moment, both inside and outside the ring. The classes are for everyone and anyone who wants to learn and eventually master the ins and outs of one of the fastest growing disciplines in the world. Call Gracie Barra Washington as soon as possible at 636-266-9388 or reach out to us online.
MMA Classes Near Me in Augusta, MO: What Exactly is MMA?
Allowing a wide variety of fighting techniques and skills from a conglomerate of other martial arts to be used in competition, MMA is a full-contact sport. The rules allow usage of both grappling and striking techniques while on the ground and/or standing. Competitions near Augusta, MO allow athletes of varying disciplines of martial arts to compete under a set of unified rules.
Although its origins are believed to date back to ancient Greece with pankration, MMA’s current style and form was made popular by brothers Carlos and Helio Gracie in 1925. The Gracies got eyes on them by issuing the “Gracie Challenge” in area newspapers, proclaiming in advertisements: “If you want a broken arm, or rib, contact Carlos Gracie.” MMA first drew the attention of many the attention of many in North America after the Gracie family chose to demonstrate its trademark Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the U.S. in 1990. Helio’s son, Royce Gracie, represented the family in a 1993 tournament in Denver, Colorado, called UFC 1, referring to Ultimate Fighting Championship, the operation that quickly became a MMA behemoth. The tournament attracted 86,000 pay-per-view viewers. That number jumped to 300,000 by the third event.
Initially denounced by critics as a brutal bloodsport without any rules — the late politician John McCain once referred to MMA as “human cockfighting” and sought to have it prohibited — the sport gradually got rid of its no-holds-barred image and has emerged as one of the world’s fastest growing spectator sports. Once on the precipice of extinction in 2001, the UFC now has an estimated value of $9-10 billion.
Gracie Barra is the home of the world’s best MMA team, providing MMA classes near you in Augusta, MO with programs for men, teens, and kids. The Gracie institution features over 400 gyms in North America and 900 worldwide, and your membership gets you into any of them. Give us a call now to begin Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes at 636-266-9388 or contact us.
In addition to our MMA classes, Gracie Barra Washington provides the following programs for our Augusta, MO neighbors:
- Muay Thai Near Me
- Adult Martial Arts Classes
- MMA Gym Near Me
- BJJ Schools Near Me
- Best Martial Arts
- Kids Martial Arts
- Jiu Jitsu Near Me
MMA Classes Near Me in Augusta, MO: What Techniques Does MMA Borrow From?
Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you, your whole physique will be trained and toned, while developing a plan to uniquely mix some of the area’s most effective fighting styles into one discipline that you can use in self-defense or in the ring during competitions near Augusta, MO. MMA is the mixture of martial arts, the blend of attacks that constantly keep students on their toes. Our MMA classes near you in Augusta, MO incorporate methods from the following styles:
- Boxing – Known as the “sweet science,” Augusta, MO boxers use elaborate foot movements and quick jabs for offense.
- Wrestling – Regarded as the world’s oldest sport, the premise of wrestling is a contestant fights hand-to-hand, attempting to throw or pin their opponent without hitting or kicking. Some wrestling modes include freestyle, Greco-Roman, and catch-as-catch-can.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu – Our founder Carlos Gracie opened the original Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 1925. He taught the skills he picked up from Japanese judo master Mitsuyo Esai Maeda. Those skills were later modified to use less energy and to be more successful against bigger opponents, an obvious advantageous adoption for MMA classes near Augusta, MO.
- Jiu-Jitsu – An ancient Japanese martial art that encompasses striking, joint locks, throwing, and even weapons training.
- Judo – A Japanese martial art founded in 1882 by Jigoro Kano and derived from Jiu Jitsu. Judo is now an Olympic sport highlighting throws. Kicking/punching is prohibited, which is great as a practical teaching tool for newcomers in our MMA classes near you in Augusta, MO.
- Karate – The term used to identify many Japanese and Okinawan martial arts. While known for powerful, linear techniques — many of which have been acclimated into MMA fighting — a bunch of karate styles also integrate softer, circular styles. Some of the popular styles of karate are:
- Kickboxing – A lively martial art combining martial arts kicks with boxing punches. Many distinct styles with contradicting rules exist, such as Muay Thai, full-contact karate, and Lethwei.
- Kung Fu – Commonly known as Chinese Boxing, Gung Fu, and Wu Shu. There are hundreds of styles of Kung Fu, some practiced near Augusta, MO, and many of which are patterned after animal movements.
- Taekwondo – One of the most practiced martial arts in the world, Taekwondo is a Korean style known for its garish kicking moves.
MMA Classes Near Me in Augusta, MO: How Does MMA Teach Me Self-Defense?
MMA classes near you at Gracie Barra Washington give you the confidence you need to protect yourself. Self-defense is as much about training as it is about size and strength in Augusta, MO. The biggest, strongest guy in the world can still lose a confrontation if he is not properly trained. Using the best techniques from the martial arts listed above MMA is the ultimate fighting method around Augusta, MO, combined to give you exactly what you need to defend yourself the ones you love in any circumstance. You will get plenty of practice sparring and training in our classes, meaning that you’ll be ready for whatever dangers you encounter near Augusta, MO.
Movement is power in any confrontation. You can’t stand around waiting for your opponent’s next strike, you must move. And quickly. The MMA classes near you in Augusta, MO at Gracie Barra Washington help develop a fighter’s reflex, which permits you to move quickly and smartly in any circumstance. You will know exactly where/when to strike and where/when to move.
Reach Out to the Home of the Top MMA Classes Near Me in Augusta, MO | Gracie Barra Washington
The Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you in Augusta, MO combine a cardiovascular and calorie-burning workout, burning up to 1,000 calories per hour, with muscle toning. That is the perfect combo for students who are looking to lose weight, because building muscle also increases the metabolism. Also advantageous is the stress relief MMA provides, which transfers into your personal and work life in Augusta, MO, providing you with a necessary outlet for negative emotions and energy. Consistent stress is bad for both your body and mind in Augusta, MO.
Give us a call to begin Augusta, MO MMA classes near you and join the Gracie Barra Washington family right away at 636-266-9388 or reach out to us.