MMA Classes Near Me Columbia, MO
MMA Classes Near Me Columbia, MO. If you want to get in great shape and meet your ideal weight, pedaling miles to nowhere on an exercise bike or climbing onto a treadmill a few times a week in some Columbia, MO gym simply isn’t going to get the job done. You have to give mixed martial arts (MMA) classes near you at Gracie Barra Washington.
MMA combines many forms of martial arts into a new and exciting physical challenge, burning fat and toning every muscle better than other forms of exercise you will find at the Columbia, MO gym. Not only that, the Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes work every faction of physical fitness – developing strength, endurance, and flexibility all at the same time.
The Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you in Columbia, MO are a fun way to learn self-defense, practice the sport, and develop an understanding of what is going on in the moment, both inside and outside the ring. The classes are for anyone and everyone who wants to learn and eventually master the ins and outs of one of the most popular disciplines in the world. Call Gracie Barra Washington as soon as possible at 636-266-9388 or reach out to us online.
MMA Classes Near Me in Columbia, MO: What Exactly is MMA?
Allowing a wide variety of fighting skills and techniques from a conglomerate of other martial arts to be used in competition, MMA is a full-contact sport. The rules allow usage of both grappling and striking techniques while on the ground and/or standing. Tournaments and competitions near Columbia, MO permit athletes of varying disciplines of martial arts to compete under a unified set of rules.
Although its beginnings are thought to date back to ancient Greece with pankration, MMA’s contemporary form and style was popularized by brothers Carlos and Helio Gracie in 1925. The Gracies garnered attention by issuing the “Gracie Challenge” in area newspapers, proclaiming in advertisements: “If you want a broken arm, or rib, contact Carlos Gracie.” MMA first came to the attention of many the attention of many in North America after the Gracie family chose to demonstrate its trademark Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the U.S. in 1990. Helio’s son, Royce Gracie, represented the family in a 1993 tournament in Denver, Colorado, called UFC 1, referring to Ultimate Fighting Championship, the organization that quickly became a MMA heavyweight. The tourney secured 86,000 pay-per-view viewers. That amount increased to 300,000 by the third event.
Initially decried by critics as a brutal bloodsport without any rules — the late politician John McCain once called MMA “human cockfighting” and tried to have it banished — the sport gradually got rid of its no-holds-barred persona and has developed into one of the world’s fastest growing spectator sports. Once on the verge of dying out in 2001, the UFC now has an estimated value of $9-10 billion.
Gracie Barra is the home of the world’s best MMA team, offering MMA classes near you in Columbia, MO with programs for men, teens, and kids. The Gracie institution features over 400 gyms in North America and 900 worldwide, and your membership gets you into any of them. Give us a call now to get started in Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes at 636-266-9388 or contact us.
In addition to our MMA classes, Gracie Barra Washington offers the following classes to our Columbia, MO neighbors:
- Jiu-Jitsu School Near Me
- BJJ Gyms Near Me
- Self-Defense Classes
- BJJ Competition Training
- Beginner Jiu-Jitsu
- BJJ Near Me
- No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu
- Best Martial Arts for Kids
- Muay Thai Near Me
- Adult Martial Arts Classes
MMA Classes Near Me in Columbia, MO: What Techniques Does MMA Borrow From?
Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you, your whole physique will be toned and trained, while developing a plan to uniquely mix some of the area’s most effective fighting styles into one discipline that you can use in the ring during competitions near Columbia, MO or for self-defense. MMA is the mixture of martial arts, the blend of attacks that constantly keep fighters on their toes. Our MMA classes near you in Columbia, MO incorporate techniques from these styles:
- Boxing – Known as the “sweet science,” Columbia, MO boxers use detailed foot maneuvers and quick jabs for offense.
- Wrestling – Considered the oldest sport throughout the world, the premise of wrestling is a contestant fights hand-to-hand, trying to throw or pin their opponent without strikes. Some wrestling styles include freestyle, Greco-Roman, and catch-as-catch-can.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu – Our founder Carlos Gracie opened the original Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 1925. He taught the skills he picked up from Japanese judo master Mitsuyo Esai Maeda. Those skills were later altered to use less energy and to be more effective against larger opponents, an evident advantageous adaptation for MMA classes near Columbia, MO.
- Jiu-Jitsu – An ancient Japanese martial art that includes throwing, joint locks, striking, and even weapons training.
- Judo – A Japanese martial art founded in 1882 by Jigoro Kano and derived from Jiu Jitsu. Judo is now an Olympic sport spotlighting throws. Attacking is banned, which is great as a practical teaching tool for beginners in our MMA classes near you in Columbia, MO.
- Karate – The name used to identify many Japanese and Okinawan martial arts. While known for powerful, linear maneuvers — many of which have been adapted into MMA fighting — several karate styles also incorporate lighter, circular styles. Some of the common modes of karate are:
- Kickboxing – A lively martial art combining martial arts kicks with boxing punches. Many different styles with differing rules exist, such as Muay Thai, full-contact karate, and Lethwei.
- Kung Fu – Also referred to as Chinese Boxing, Gung Fu, and Wu Shu. There are hundreds of styles of Kung Fu, some practiced near Columbia, MO, and many of which are influenced by movements of animals.
- Taekwondo – One of the most practiced martial arts in the world, Taekwondo is a Korean style known for its garish kicking moves.
MMA Classes Near Me in Columbia, MO: How Does MMA Teach Me Self-Defense?
MMA classes near you at Gracie Barra Washington give you the self-confidence necessary to defend yourself. Self-defense is as much about training as it is about size and strength in Columbia, MO. The biggest, beefiest guy in the Columbia, MO area can still lose a battle if he’s not trained properly. Using the best techniques from the martial arts listed above MMA is the ultimate fighting method around Columbia, MO, combined to give you precisely what you need to defend yourself the ones you love in any situation. You will be ready for whatever dangers you encounter the in Columbia, MO area, based on the sparring and training in our classes near Columbia, MO.
Movement is power in any fight. You can’t stand around and wait for your opponent’s next strike, you must move. And quickly. The MMA classes near you in Columbia, MO at Gracie Barra Washington help build a fighter’s reflex, which permits you to move quickly and smartly in any circumstance. You will know exactly where/when to move and where/when to throw your strike.
Reach Out to the Home of the Best MMA Classes Near Me in Columbia, MO | Gracie Barra Washington
The Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you in Columbia, MO combine a cardiovascular and calorie-burning workout, burning up to 1,000 calories every class, with muscle building and toning. That’s the perfect combo for students who are looking to lose weight, due to the fact that building muscle also boosts the metabolism. Also beneficial is the stress relief MMA provides, which transfers into your work and personal life in Columbia, MO, providing you with a necessary outlet for negative energy and emotions. Constant stress is bad for both your mind and body in Columbia, MO.