Beginner Jiu-Jitsu in Gray Summit, MO
If you are excited about Beginner Jiu-Jitsu, Gracie Barra in Gray Summit, MO, offers various programs for new students. We have classes for adults, teens, and children. Get started now by contacting our school today to learn more about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, MMA, and our courses. Contact us now at 636-266-9388
One of the first steps to mastering Jiu-Jitsu is getting to know the fundamentals. Our school was founded in 2018, and we have students from all over the Greater St. Louis Metro area. Our classes align with the traditional Gracie Barra program structure that is been proven to help people people develop their bodies, minds, and lifestyle. You don’t necessarily need a background in fighting sports to learn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) in Gray Summit, MO –everyone starts somewhere. If you are a beginner and interested in Jiu-Jitsu, contact our school and join one of our programs. Our instructors are here to help you learn the basics and cultivate discipline and strength. Learn more about our gym here.
Learning Jiu-Jitsu at Gracie Barra in Gray Summit, MO
For beginners, learning the principles and philosophies of the art are important for mastering Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the Gray Summit, MO, area. Below are the basics of how our school operates:
- The Introduction:Most schools start by introducing BJJ’s history and basic techniques to new students. Different courses may be designed for kids, adults, or MMA. Fundamentals are key.
- Warm-Ups & Conditioning: Most sessions begin with warm-up exercises and mild conditioning. These exerices help improve a student’s strength and flexibility in order to prepare themselves for more advanced techniques.
- The Fundamentals: Introductory BJJ classes in Gray Summit, MO, tend to focus on fundamental techniques like guarding, mounting, escapes, and side control. Each of these techniques are important to learn for safety reasons and advancing your skills.
- Partner Drills: BJJ involves a partner. Usually, beginners will partner with others at a similar skill level to practice transitions, movement, and other techniques. This allows students to safely practice and apply more advanced elements of BJJ in a controlled environment.
- Sparring & Rolling: After warming up, classes will let students role (spar). Rolling is when you practice whatever technique you learned and practice on the mat. Rolling is usually light and basic so beginners to Jiu-Jitsu in Gray Summit can focus on basic techniques.
- Safety & Etiquette: Safety is paramount. Our beginner Jiu-Jitsu instructors in Gray Summit, MO, teach safety and etiquette–this includes tapping out, how to signal for submission, respecting sparring partners, and following school rules and the BJJ lifestyle.
- Progression: BJJ schools value progression. As you train and learn, you’ll start to be taught more complex movements, holds, and other techniques.
- Support: BJJ–which is different between schools–cultivates a supportive and welcoming environment as much as possible. Instructors and students are glad to offer a safe and productive environment for beginners in Gray Summit, MO.
- Gear & Attire: Comfortable clothing is important. The traditional gi is recommended–but it really depends on the school and your commitment to BJJ. Beginners might not need to buy a gi right away.
More About Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu originated in Japan. The Gracie family (Carlos and Helio) adapted these techniques in the 20th century that became that we recognize today as Jiu-Jitsu. This martial art focuses on leverage, ground fighting, and facing oponents that might be bigger than you. BJJ has become a popular martial art to practice for mixed martial arts (MMA) and–just as useful–self-defense, physical fitness, and your overall lifestyle.
Learn more about us here:
- BJJ Competition Training
- BJJ Near Me
- No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu
- Best Martial Arts for Kids
- Muay Thai Near Me
- Adult Martial Arts Classes
- MMA Gym Near Me
- BJJ Schools Near Me
- Best Martial Arts
The competitive nature of BJJ may also be a draw for new students. Most events are organized by the IBJJF (International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation).
There are a number of benefits for training at Gracie Barra Washington. These include:
- Physical fitness
- MMA training
- Flexibility, agility
- Self-improvement, discipline
- Weight loss
A notable component of learning Jiu-Jitsu is self-displine. Routine is healthy for your mind, body, and day-to-day life. Students can improve their cardio with regular exercise that helps prevent the chance of heart attacks and other medical conditions.
Physically, the training can help with posture, range of motion, and weight loss. There are a lot of ways our beginner Jiu-Jitsu programs in Gray Summit, MO, can support your goals–and now it’s up to you to contact us to learn more or call us at 636-266-9388.