Beginner Jiu-Jitsu in Washington, MO
If you’re excited about Introductory Jiu-Jitsu, Gracie Barra in Washington, MO, offers various programs for new students. We have classes for adults, teens, and children. Get started now by contacting our school today to learn more about MMA, Jiu-Jitsu, and how we can help. Contact us today at 636-266-9388
One of the first steps to mastering Jiu-Jitsu is learning the fundamentals. Our school was founded in 2018, and we have students from all over the Greater St. Louis Metro area. Our classes align with traditional Gracie program that’s been proven time and time again to help students people develop their bodies, minds, and lifestyle. You don’t necessarily need a background in fighting sports to learn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) in Washington, MO –every student has to start somewhere. If you’re a beginner and interested in Jiu-Jitsu, contact our school to learn more. Our instructors are here to help you learn the basics and advance in the art. Learn more about our instructors here.
Learning Jiu-Jitsu at Gracie Barra in Washington, MO
For new students, learning the principles and philosophies of the art are vital for mastering Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the Washington, MO, area. Below are the basics of how our school works:
- The Introduction:Most programs start by introducing BJJ’s history and basic techniques to beginners. Certain courses may be tailored for kids or adults. Fundamentals are key.
- Warm-Ups & Conditioning: Most sessions begin with warm-up exercises and mild conditioning. Exercises help improve a student’s strength and flexibility in order to prepare themselves for more advanced techniques.
- The Fundamentals: Introductory Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes in Washington, MO, tend to focus on fundamental techniques like takedowns, sweeps, submissions, and side control. Each of these techniques are fundamental for both safety and advancing your skills.
- Partner Drills: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu involves a partner. Typically, new students will partner with others at a similar skill level to practice transitions, movement, and other techniques. This allows newcomers to learn in a safe environment and apply more advanced elements of BJJ in a controlled environment.
- Sparring & Rolling: After stretching and other instructional lessons, classes will let students role (spar). Rolling is when you practice whatever technique you’ve learned in a live situation. Sparring is usually light and basic so beginners to Jiu-Jitsu in Washington can focus on basic techniques.
- Safety & Etiquette: Safety is an important component in BJJ. Our beginner BJJ instructors in Washington, MO, prioritize safety and etiquette–this includes tapping out, how to signal for submission, respecting sparring partners, and following school rules and the Gracie lifestyle.
- Progression: Jiu-Jitsu schools value progression. As you train and learn, you’ll begin to be taught more complex movements, holds, and other techniques.
- Support: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu–as a foundational mission statement–wants to grow a supportive and welcoming environment in as many ways as possible. Instructors and students are happy to offer a safe, fun environment for beginners in Washington, MO.
- Gear & Attire: Comfortable clothing is another important component. The traditional gi is recommended–but it really depends on the school and your commitment to BJJ. Beginners might not need to buy a gi right away.
More About Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Foundationally, BJJ originated in Japan. The Gracie family (Carlos and Helio) adapted these techniques in the 20th century that became what we recognize today. The fighting technique focuses on ground fighting, leverage, and allowing smaller opponents to face larger ones. This has become a popular martial art to practice for mixed martial arts (MMA) and–just as useful–physical fitness and self-defense
Learn more about us here:
- BJJ Competition Training
- BJJ Near Me
- No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu
- Best Martial Arts for Kids
- Muay Thai Near Me
- Adult Martial Arts Classes
- MMA Gym Near Me
- BJJ Schools Near Me
- Best Martial Arts
The competitive nature of BJJ may also be a draw for new students. Many events are organized by the IBJJF (International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation).
There are a number of benefits for training at Gracie Barra Washington. These include:
- Staying physically fit
- Learning self-defense techniques
- MMA training
- Flexibility, agility
- Self-improvement, discipline
- Weight loss
One of the most important and notable elements of studying BJJ is self-improvement. Routine is healthy for your mind, body, and day-to-day life. Students can improve their cardiovascular health with regular exercise which can prevent the chance of heart attacks and other medical conditions.
Physically, the training also helps with posture, range of motion, and weight loss. There are a lot of ways our beginner Jiu-Jitsu programs in Washington, MO, can support your goals–it’s up to you to contact us to learn more about our programs and to call our school now at 636-266-9388.