Beginner Jiu-Jitsu in Villa Ridge, MO
If you’re excited about Beginner Jiu-Jitsu, Gracie Barra in Villa Ridge, MO, provides various programs for new students. This includes children, teens, and adult classes. Get started right away by contacting our gym today to learn more about MMA, Jiu-Jitsu, and how we can help. Call us now at 636-266-9388
One of the first steps to mastering Jiu-Jitsu is getting to know the fundamentals. Gracie Barra Washington was founded in 2018, and we have students from all over Greater St. Louis. Our classes align with traditional Gracie program structure that’s been proven time and time again to help people exercise their bodies, minds, and discipline. You don’t You don’t have to have a background in fighting sports to learn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) in Villa Ridge, MO –every student has to start somewhere. If you’re a novice and interested in Jiu-Jitsu, give us a call and join one of our programs. Our instructors are here to help you learn the basics and advance in the art. Learn more about our instructors here.
Learning Jiu-Jitsu at Gracie Barra in Villa Ridge, MO
For beginners, learning the principles and philosophies of the art are essential for mastering Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the Villa Ridge, MO, area. Below are the basics of how our school works:
- The Introduction:Most schools introduce BJJ’s history and basic techniques to beginners. Different courses may be designed for kids, adults, or MMA. Fundamentals are key.
- Warm-Ups & Conditioning: Most of the sessions start with warm-up exercises and mild conditioning. These exerices help improve a student’s strength and flexibility to prepare themselves for more advanced techniques.
- The Fundamentals: Introductory Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu courses in Villa Ridge, MO, tend to focus on the fundamentals like takedowns, sweeps, submissions, and side control. Each of these techniques are fundamental for both safety and advancing your skills.
- Partner Drills: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu involves a lot of partner work. Typically, beginners will partner with others at a similar skill level to practice movement, grappling, transitiongs, and other techniques. This allows newcomers to learn in a safe environment and apply more advanced elements of BJJ in a controlled environment.
- Sparring & Rolling: After stretching and other instructional lessons, classes tend to lead into sparring (rolling). This is when you practice recently learned techniques you’ve learned and practice on the mat. Rolling is usually light and basic so beginners to Jiu-Jitsu in Villa Ridge can focus on basic techniques.
- Safety & Etiquette: Safety is an important component in BJJ. Our beginner BJJ instructors in Villa Ridge, MO, prioritize safety and etiquette–this includes knowing when to submit, tapping out, respecting your sparing partner, and following school rules and the BJJ lifestyle.
- Progression: BJJ gyms value progression. As you train and learn, you’ll start to be taught more complex techniques, advanced movements, and concepts as you master the basics.
- Support: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu–as a foundational mission statement–cultivates a supportive and friendly environment in as many ways as possible. Our instructors and other students are glad to offer a safe, fun environment for beginners in Villa Ridge, MO.
- Equipment & Attire: Comfortable clothing is another important component. The traditional gi is recommended–but not required. You might not need to buy a gi right away.
More About Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Foundationally, BJJ originated in Japan. The Gracie family (Carlos and Helio) adapted these techniques in the 20th century that became what we know now as Jiu-Jitsu. The fighting technique focuses on ground fighting, leverage, and allowing smaller opponents to face larger ones. This has become a popular martial art to practice for MMA (mixed martial arts) and–just as useful–self-defense, physical fitness, and your overall lifestyle.
Learn more about us here:
- BJJ Competition Training
- BJJ Near Me
- No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu
- Best Martial Arts for Kids
- Muay Thai Near Me
- Adult Martial Arts Classes
- MMA Gym Near Me
- BJJ Schools Near Me
- Best Martial Arts
Competition is often another draw for new students. Many events are organized by the IBJJF (International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation).
There are a number of benefits for training at Gracie Barra Washington. These include:
- Staying physically fit
- MMA training
- Flexibility, agility
- Self-improvement, discipline
- Weight loss
A notable component of learning Jiu-Jitsu is self-displine. Routine is healthy for your mind, body, and day-to-day life. Students can improve their cardiovascular health with regular exercise that helps prevent the chance of heart attacks and other medical conditions.
BJJ training can help with posture, flexibility, and weight loss. There are many reasons our beginner Jiu-Jitsu programs in Villa Ridge, MO, can help you improve your life–it is up to you to contact us to learn more about our programs and to call our school today at 636-266-9388.