MMA Classes Near Me
MMA Classes Near Me Washington, MO. If you want to get in the best shape of your life, climbing onto a treadmill or pedaling miles to nowhere on an exercise bike a few times a week at some gym just isn’t going to get the job done. You need to try mixed martial arts (MMA) classes near you at Gracie Barra Washington.
MMA combines many forms of martial arts into a new and exciting physical challenge, toning every muscle and burning fat better than other forms of exercise you’ll find at the gym. Not only that, MMA classes at Gracie Barra Washington work every aspect of physical fitness – building strength, endurance, and flexibility all at the same time.
The Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes are a fun way to practice the sport, learn self-defense, and develop an understanding of what is happening, both inside and outside the ring. The classes are for anyone and everyone who wants to learn the ins and outs of one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Call Gracie Barra Washington right away at 636-266-9388 or contact us online.
MMA Classes Near Me: What Exactly is MMA?
MMA is a full-contact combat sport that allows a wide variety of fighting techniques and skills from a conglomerate of other martial arts to be used in competition. The rules allow usage of both grappling and striking techniques while standing and/or on the ground. Competitions allow athletes of different disciplines of martial arts to compete under a set of unified rules.
Although its origins are believed to date back to ancient Greece with pankration, MMA’s current form and style was popularized by brothers Carlos and Helio Gracie in 1925. The Gracies garnered attention by issuing the “Gracie Challenge” in area newspapers, proclaiming in advertisements: “If you want a broken arm, or rib, contact Carlos Gracie.” MMA first came to the attention of many in North America after the Gracie family decided to showcase its trademark Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the U.S. in 1990. Helio’s son, Royce Gracie, represented the family in a 1993 tournament in Denver, Colorado, called UFC 1, referring to Ultimate Fighting Championship, the organization that quickly became a MMA heavyweight. The tournament attracted 86,000 pay-per-view viewers. That number increased to 300,000 by the third event.
Initially decried by critics as a brutal blood sport without rules — the late politician John McCain once called MMA “human cockfighting” and sought to have it banned — the sport gradually shed its no-holds-barred image and has emerged as one of the world’s fastest growing spectator sports. Once on the verge of extinction in 2001, the UFC now has estimated value of $9-10 billion.
Gracie Barra is home to the world’s best MMA team, offering MMA classes near you in programs for men, teens, and kids. The Gracie family features over 400 gyms in North America and 900 worldwide, and your membership gets you into any of them. Call us now to get started in Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes at 636-266-9388 or contact us.
MMA Classes Near Me: What Styles Does MMA Borrow From?
In Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you, your entire body will be toned and trained, while learning how to creatively combine some of the world’s most effective fighting techniques into one discipline that you can use in self-defense or in the ring during competitions. MMA is the blend of attacks, the mixture of martial arts that constantly keep fighters on their toes. Our MMA classes near you incorporate techniques from the following styles:
- Boxing – Referred to as the “sweet science,” boxers use elaborate foot maneuvers and quick jabs for offense.
- Wrestling – Regarded as the world’s oldest sport, the basis of wrestling is a contestant battles hand-to-hand, attempting to throw or take down their opponent without striking blows. Some wrestling styles include freestyle, Greco-Roman, and catch-as-catch-can.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu – Our namesake Carlos Gracie opened the original Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 1925. He taught the skills he learned from Japanese judo master Mitsuyo Esai Maeda. Those skills were later modified to use less strength and to be more effective against larger opponents, an obvious advantageous adaptation for MMA.
- Jiu-Jitsu – An ancient Japanese martial art that encompasses throwing, joint locks, striking, and weapons training.
- Judo – A Japanese martial art founded in 1882 by Jigoro Kano and derived from Jiu Jitsu. Judo is now an Olympic sport emphasizing throws. Striking is prohibited, which is great as a practical teaching tool for beginners in our MMA classes.
- Karate – The name used to identify many Japanese and Okinawan martial arts. While known for powerful, linear techniques — a lot of which have been adapted into MMA fighting — many karate styles also incorporate softer, circular styles. Some of the popular styles of karate include:
- Kickboxing – A sportive martial art combining boxing punches and martial arts kicks. Many different styles with differing rules exist, such as Muay Thai, full-contact karate, and Lethwei.
- Kung Fu – Also referred to as Gung Fu, Chinese Boxing, and Wu Shu. There are hundreds of styles of Kung Fu, many of which are specifically patterned after movements of animals.
- Taekwondo – One of the most practiced martial arts in the world, Taekwondo is a Korean style known for its flashy kicking techniques.
MMA Classes Near Me: How Does MMA Teach Me Self-Defense?
MMA classes near you at Gracie Barra Washington give you the confidence you need to defend yourself. Self-defense is as much about training as it is about strength and size. The biggest, beefiest guy in the world can still lose a fight if he’s not trained. MMA is the ultimate fighting method because it uses the best techniques from the various martial arts above, combined to give you the tools you need to defend yourself in any situation. You will get plenty of practice sparring and training in our classes, meaning that you’ll be ready for whatever dangers you encounter.
In any fight, movement is power. You can’t stand around and wait for your attacker’s next strike, you have to move. And quickly. Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you help develop a fighter’s reflex, which allows you to move quickly and smartly in any situation. You will know where/when to move and where/when to throw your strike.
Reach Out to the Home of the Top MMA Classes Near Me | Gracie Barra Washington
The Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes combine a cardiovascular and calorie-burning workout, burning up to 1,000 calories per hour, with muscle toning. That’s an ideal combination for students who want to lose weight because building muscle also increases the metabolism. Also ideal is the stress relief MMA provides, which carries over into your work and personal life, providing you with a needed outlet for negative energy and emotions. Constant stress is bad for both your mind and body.