Beginner Jiu-Jitsu in Rolla, MO
If you’re interested in Introductory Jiu-Jitsu, Gracie Barra in Rolla, MO, offers various programs for new students. This includes children, teens, and adult classes. Get started now by contacting our school today to learn more about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, MMA, and our courses. Call us today at 636-266-9388
One of the most important steps for mastering Jiu-Jitsu is getting to know the fundamentals. Gracie Barra Washington was founded in 2018, and we have students from all over Greater St. Louis. Our classes align with the traditional Gracie Barra program structure that’s been proven time and time again to help students exercise their bodies, minds, and discipline. You don’t You don’t have to have a background in fighting sports to learn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) in Rolla, MO –everyone starts somewhere. If you’re a beginner and interested in learning more about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, contact our school and join one of our programs. Our instructors are here to help you learn the basics and advance in the art. Learn more about our instructors here.
Learning Jiu-Jitsu at Gracie Barra in Rolla, MO
For new students, learning the principles and philosophies of the art are important for mastering Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the Rolla, MO, area. Below are the basics of how Gracie Barra Washington operates:
- The Introduction:Most programs introduce BJJ’s history and basic techniques to beginners. Certain courses may be tailored for kids or adults. Fundamentals are key like in other martial arts.
- Warm-Ups & Conditioning: Most of the sessions begin with warm-up exercises and mild conditioning. These exerices help improve a student’s strength and flexibility in order to prepare themselves for more advanced techniques.
- The Fundamentals: Beginner Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes in Rolla, MO, tend to focus on the fundamentals like takedowns, sweeps, submissions, and side control. Each of these techniques are fundamental for both safety and advancing your skills.
- Partner Drills: BJJ involves a partner. Typically, new students will partner with others at a similar skill level to practice transitions, movement, and other techniques. This allows newcomers to safely practice and apply more advanced elements of BJJ in a controlled environment.
- Sparring & Rolling: After warming up, classes tend to lead into sparring (rolling). Rolling is when you practice recently learned techniques you’ve learned and practice in a live situation. Sparring is usually light and basic so beginners to Jiu-Jitsu in Rolla can focus on basic techniques.
- Safety & Etiquette: Safety is paramount. Our beginner BJJ instructors in Rolla, MO, teach safety and etiquette–this includes tapping out, how to signal for submission, respecting sparring partners, and following school rules and the BJJ lifestyle.
- Progression: BJJ gyms are typically based on progression. As you train and learn, you’ll start to be taught more complex techniques, advanced movements, and concepts as you master the basics.
- Support: BJJ–which is different between schools–wants to grow a supportive and welcoming environment in as many ways as possible. Instructors and other students are glad to offer a safe, fun environment for beginners in Rolla, MO.
- Gear & Attire: Comfortable clothing is another important component. The traditional gi is recommended–but not required. Beginners might not need a gi right away.
More About Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Foundationally, BJJ begain in Japan. The Gracie family adapted these techniques in the 20th century which became what we recognize today. The fighting technique focuses on ground fighting, leverage, and allowing smaller opponents to face larger ones. This has become a popular martial art to practice for MMA (mixed martial arts) and–just as useful–physical fitness and self-defense
Learn more about us here:
- BJJ Competition Training
- BJJ Near Me
- No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu
- Best Martial Arts for Kids
- Muay Thai Near Me
- Adult Martial Arts Classes
- MMA Gym Near Me
- BJJ Schools Near Me
- Best Martial Arts
Competition is another important aspect to BJJ. Many events are organized by the IBJJF (International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation).
Every student has a different reasont to join us at Gracie Barra Washington. A few obvious reasons include:
- Physical fitness
- Learning self-defense techniques
- MMA training
- Flexibility, agility
- Self-improvement, discipline
- Weight loss
One of the most important and notable elements of studying BJJ is self-improvement. Routine is healthy for your mind, body, and day-to-day life. Students can improve their cardio with regular exercise which can prevent the chance of heart attacks and other medical conditions.
Physically, the training also helps with posture, range of motion, and weight loss. There are a lot of reasons our beginner Jiu-Jitsu courses in Rolla, MO, can help you improve your life–and now it’s up to you to contact us to learn more about our programs and to call our school now at 636-266-9388.