Beginner Jiu-Jitsu in Columbia, MO
If you are interested in Introductory Jiu-Jitsu, Gracie Barra in Columbia, MO, provides various programs for new students. This includes children, teens, and adult classes. Get started right away by contacting our gym today and learn more about MMA, Jiu-Jitsu, and how we can help. Contact us today at 636-266-9388
One of the most important steps for mastering Jiu-Jitsu is getting to know the fundamentals. Our school was founded in 2018, and we have students from all over the Greater St. Louis Metro area. Our classes align with traditional Gracie program structure that is been proven to help students exercise their bodies, minds, and discipline. You don’t necessarily need a background in fighting sports to learn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) in Columbia, MO –everyone starts somewhere. If you’re a novice and interested in learning more about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, contact our school and join one of our programs. Our instructors are here to help you learn the basics and advance in the art. Learn more about our instructors here.
Learning Jiu-Jitsu at Gracie Barra in Columbia, MO
For beginners, learning the principles and philosophies of the art are vital for going down the path to learn BJJ in the Columbia, MO, area. Below are the basics of how our school operates:
- The Introduction:Most programs introduce BJJ’s history and basic techniques for new students. Certain courses may be tailored for kids or adults. Fundamentals are key.
- Warm-Ups & Conditioning: Most sessions begin with warm-up exercises and mild conditioning. Exercises help improve a student’s strength and flexibility in order to prepare themselves for more advanced techniques.
- The Fundamentals: Beginner BJJ classes in Columbia, MO, tend to focus on fundamental techniques like positioning, how to mount, guarding, side control, escapes, submissions, sweeps, and takedowns. Each of these techniques are fundamental for both safety and advancing your skills.
- Partner Drills: BJJ involves a lot of partner work. Typically, new students will partner with others at a similar skill level to practice movement, grappling, transitiongs, and other techniques. This allows newcomers to safely practice and apply more advanced elements of BJJ in a controlled environment.
- Sparring & Rolling: After stretching and other instructional lessons, classes tend to lead into sparring (rolling). Rolling is when you practice recently learned techniques you learned and practice in a live situation. Sparring is usually light and basic so beginners to Jiu-Jitsu in Columbia can focus on basic techniques.
- Safety & Etiquette: Safety is an important component in BJJ. Our beginner Jiu-Jitsu instructors in Columbia, MO, teach safety and etiquette–this includes tapping out, how to signal for submission, respecting sparring partners, and following school rules and the BJJ lifestyle.
- Progression: Jiu-Jitsu schools value progression. As you learn more and practice, you will start to be taught more complex techniques, advanced movements, and concepts as you master the basics.
- Support: BJJ–as a foundational mission statement–cultivates a supportive and friendly environment as much as possible. Our instructors and students are glad to offer a safe, fun environment for beginners in Columbia, MO.
- Equipment & Attire: Comfortable clothing is important. The traditional gi is recommended–but it really depends on the school and your commitment to BJJ. Beginners may not need a gi right away.
More About Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Foundationally, BJJ originated in Japan. The Gracie family adapted these techniques in the 20th century which became what we know now as Jiu-Jitsu. This martial art focuses on ground fighting, leverage, and allowing smaller opponents to face larger ones. BJJ has become a popular martial art to practice for mixed martial arts (MMA) and–just as useful–self-defense, physical fitness, and your overall lifestyle.
Learn more about us here:
- BJJ Competition Training
- BJJ Near Me
- No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu
- Best Martial Arts for Kids
- Muay Thai Near Me
- Adult Martial Arts Classes
- MMA Gym Near Me
- BJJ Schools Near Me
- Best Martial Arts
Competition is another important aspect to BJJ. Many events are organized by the IBJJF (International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation).
There are a number of benefits for training at Gracie Barra Washington. A few obvious reasons include:
- Staying physically fit
- Learning self-defense techniques
- MMA training
- Flexibility, agility
- Self-improvement, discipline
- Weight loss
One of the most important and notable elements of studying BJJ is self-improvement. Building your routine is healthy for your mind and body. Students can improve their cardio with regular exercise which can prevent the chance of heart attacks and other medical conditions.
BJJ training can help with posture, range of motion, and weight loss. There are a lot of reasons our beginner Jiu-Jitsu programs in Columbia, MO, can support your goals–and now it’s up to you to contact us to learn more or call our school now at 636-266-9388.