Beginner Jiu-Jitsu in Augusta, MO
If you’re interested in Introductory Jiu-Jitsu, Gracie Barra in Augusta, MO, offers various programs for new students. This includes children, teens, and adult classes. Get started now by contacting our school today to learn more about MMA, Jiu-Jitsu, and how we can help. Contact us now at 636-266-9388
One of the first steps to mastering Jiu-Jitsu is getting to know the fundamentals. Our school was founded in 2018, and we have students from all over the Greater St. Louis Metro area. Our classes align with the traditional Gracie program that’s been proven to help people people develop their bodies, minds, and lifestyle. You don’t necessarily need a background in fighting sports to learn Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (BJJ) in Augusta, MO –every student has to start somewhere. If you are a beginner and interested in learning more about Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, contact our school and join one of our programs. Our instructors are here to help you learn the basics and advance in the art. Learn more about our gym here.
Learning Jiu-Jitsu at Gracie Barra in Augusta, MO
For beginners, learning the principles and philosophies of the art are critical for mastering Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the Augusta, MO, area. Below are the basics of how Gracie Barra Washington works:
- The Introduction:Most programs start by introducing BJJ’s history and basic techniques to new students. Different courses may be designed for kids, adults, or MMA. Fundamentals are key.
- Warm-Ups & Conditioning: Most of the sessions begin with warm-up exercises and mild conditioning. These exerices help improve a student’s strength and flexibility to prepare themselves for more advanced techniques.
- The Fundamentals: Introductory Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu courses in Augusta, MO, tend to focus on fundamental techniques like positioning, how to mount, guarding, side control, escapes, submissions, sweeps, and takedowns. Each of these techniques are important to learn for safety reasons and advancing your skills.
- Partner Drills: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu involves a lot of partner work. Usually, new students will partner with others at a similar skill level to practice movement, grappling, transitiongs, and other techniques. This allows students to learn in a safe environment and apply more advanced elements of BJJ in a controlled environment.
- Sparring & Rolling: After warming up, classes tend to lead into sparring (rolling). Rolling is when you practice whatever technique you’ve practiced on the mat. Sparring is usually light and basic so beginners to Jiu-Jitsu in Augusta can focus on basic techniques.
- Safety & Etiquette: Safety is an important component in BJJ. Our beginner Jiu-Jitsu instructors in Augusta, MO, teach safety and etiquette–this includes knowing when to submit, tapping out, respecting your sparing partner, and following school rules and the BJJ lifestyle.
- Progression: Jiu-Jitsu schools are typically based on progression. As you train and learn, you will begin to be taught more complex techniques, advanced movements, and concepts as you master the basics.
- Support: BJJ–which is different between schools–wants to grow a supportive and welcoming environment as much as possible. Instructors and students are glad to offer a safe and productive environment for beginners in Augusta, MO.
- Gear & Attire: Comfortable clothing is important. The traditional gi is recommended–but not required. You may not need a gi right away.
More About Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Foundationally, BJJ originated in Japan. The Gracie family adapted these techniques in the 20th century which became BJJ. The fighting technique focuses on ground fighting, leverage, and allowing smaller opponents to face larger ones. This has become a popular martial art to practice for MMA (mixed martial arts) and–just as useful–self-defense, physical fitness, and your overall lifestyle.
Learn more about us here:
- BJJ Competition Training
- BJJ Near Me
- No-Gi Jiu-Jitsu
- Best Martial Arts for Kids
- Muay Thai Near Me
- Adult Martial Arts Classes
- MMA Gym Near Me
- BJJ Schools Near Me
- Best Martial Arts
The competitive nature of BJJ may also be a draw for new students. Most events are organized by the IBJJF (International Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Federation).
There are a number of benefits for training at Gracie Barra Washington. A few obvious reasons include:
- Staying physically fit
- Learning self-defense techniques
- MMA training
- Flexibility, agility
- Discipline & self-improvement
- Weight loss
A notable component of learning Jiu-Jitsu is self-displine. Building your routine is healthy for your mind and body. Students can improve their cardio with regular exercise which can prevent the chance of blood pressure problems, heart attacks, and other medical conditions.
Physically, the training also helps with posture, range of motion, and weight loss. There are many reasons our beginner Jiu-Jitsu courses in Augusta, MO, can support your goals–and now it’s up to you to contact us to learn more or call our school now at 636-266-9388.