MMA Classes Near Me Washington, MO
MMA Classes Near Me Washington, MO. If you want to get in the best shape of your life and meet your ideal weight, pedaling miles to nowhere on an exercise bike or climbing onto a treadmill a few times a week in some Washington, MO gym just isn’t going to suffice. You have to give mixed martial arts (MMA) classes near you at Gracie Barra Washington.
MMA merges many forms of martial arts into a new and exciting physical challenge, burning fat and toning every muscle better than other forms of exercise you’ll find at the Washington, MO gym. Not only that, MMA classes at Gracie Barra Washington work every faction of physical fitness – developing strength, flexibility and endurance all at once.
The Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you in Washington, MO are a fun way to learn self-defense, practice the sport, and develop an appreciation of what is happening in the moment, both in the ring and in life. The classes are for everyone and anyone who wants to grasp and eventually master the ins and outs of one of the fastest growing disciplines in the world. Call Gracie Barra Washington right away at 636-266-9388 or reach out to us online.
MMA Classes Near Me in Washington, MO: What Exactly is MMA?
MMA is a full-contact combat sport that allows a wide variety of fighting techniques and skills from a conglomerate of other martial arts to be used in competition. The rules allow usage of both grappling and striking techniques while standing and/or on the ground. Tournaments and competitions near Washington, MO permit athletes of varying disciplines of martial arts to take part under a set of unified rules.
Although its origins are believed to date back to ancient Greece with pankration, MMA’s current style and form was made popular by brothers Carlos and Helio Gracie in the early 1920s. The Gracies got eyes on them by issuing the “Gracie Challenge” in area newspapers, proclaiming: “If you want a broken arm, or rib, contact Carlos Gracie.” MMA first drew the attention of many the attention of many in North America after the Gracie family decided to showcase its trademark Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the U.S. in 1990. Helio’s son, Royce Gracie, represented the family in a 1993 tournament in Denver, Colorado, called UFC 1, referring to Ultimate Fighting Championship, the conglomerate that quickly became a MMA behemoth. The competition attracted 86,000 pay-per-view viewers. That number increased to 300,000 by the third event.
Initially denounced by critics as a barbaric bloodsport without any rules — the late politician John McCain once called MMA “human cockfighting” and sought to have it banned — the sport gradually shed its no-holds-barred persona and has become one of the world’s fastest growing spectator sports. Once on the precipice of dying out in 2001, the UFC now has an estimated value of $9-10 billion.
Gracie Barra is the home of the world’s premier MMA team, offering MMA classes near you in Washington, MO with programs for men, teens, and kids. The Gracie institution features over 400 gyms in North America and 900 worldwide, and your membership gets you into any of them. Call us now to get started in Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes at 636-266-9388 or reach out to us.
Along with our MMA classes, Gracie Barra Washington offers the following programs to our Washington, MO neighbors:
- Muay Thai Near Me
- Adult Martial Arts Classes
- MMA Gym Near Me
- BJJ Schools Near Me
- Best Martial Arts
- Kids Martial Arts
- Jiu Jitsu Near Me
MMA Classes Near Me in Washington, MO: What Techniques Does MMA Borrow From?
In the MMA classes near you at Gracie Barra Washington, your whole body will be trained and toned, while developing a plan to personally mix some of the area’s most effective fighting styles into one discipline that you can utilize in the ring during competitions near Washington, MO or for self-defense. MMA is the mixture of martial arts, the blend of attacks that consistently keep students on their toes. Our MMA classes near you in Washington, MO assimilate methods from the following styles:
- Boxing – Referred to as the “sweet science,” Washington, MO boxers use elaborate foot movements and quick jabs for offense.
- Wrestling – Considered the oldest sport throughout the world, the premise of wrestling is a contestant battles hand-to-hand, attempting to throw or pin their opponent without striking blows. Some wrestling modes include freestyle, Greco-Roman, and catch-as-catch-can.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu – Our namesake Carlos Gracie started the original Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 1925. He taught the skills he learned from Japanese judo master Mitsuyo Esai Maeda. Those skills were later altered to use less energy and to be more successful against larger opponents, an apparent advantageous adaptation for MMA classes near Washington, MO.
- Jiu-Jitsu – An ancient Japanese martial art that encompasses throwing, joint locks, striking, and even weapons training.
- Judo – A Japanese martial art founded in 1882 by Jigoro Kano and evolved from Jiu Jitsu. Judo is now an Olympic sport spotlighting throws. Striking is prohibited, which is great as a practical instructing tool for newcomers in our MMA classes near you in Washington, MO.
- Karate – The name used to identify many Okinawan and Japanese martial arts. While known for powerful, linear styles — a lot of which have been acclimated into MMA fighting — several karate styles also incorporate softer, circular styles. Some of the common modes of karate are:
- Kickboxing – A lively martial art merging boxing punches and martial arts kicks. Various different styles with differing rules exist, such as Muay Thai, full-contact karate, and Lethwei.
- Kung Fu – Also known as Gung Fu, Chinese Boxing, and Wu Shu. There are hundreds of styles of Kung Fu, some practiced near Washington, MO, and many of which are influenced by movements of animals.
- Taekwondo – Probably the practiced martial arts in the world, Taekwondo is a Korean technique popular for its garish kicking maneuvers.
MMA Classes Near Me in Washington, MO: How Does MMA Teach Me Self-Defense?
MMA classes near you at Gracie Barra Washington give you the confidence necessary to defend yourself. Self-defense is as much about correct training as it is about size and strength in Washington, MO. The biggest, beefiest person in the Washington, MO area can still lose a confrontation if he’s not trained properly. Using the best techniques from the martial arts listed above MMA is the ultimate fighting method around Washington, MO, combined to give you the tools you need to protect yourself or your loved ones in any situation. You will be ready for whatever dangers you encounter the in Washington, MO area, based on the sparring and training in our classes near Washington, MO.
Movement is power in any confrontation. You cannot stand around and wait for your opponent’s next strike, you must move. And quickly. The MMA classes near you in Washington, MO at Gracie Barra Washington help develop a fighter’s reflex, which allows you to move quickly and smartly in any circumstance. You will know exactly where/when to move and where/when to throw your strike.
Reach Out to the Home of the Top MMA Classes Near Me in Washington, MO | Gracie Barra Washington
The Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you in Washington, MO combine a calorie-burning and cardiovascular workout, burning up to 1,000 calories an hour, with muscle building and toning. That’s an ideal combination for newcomers who are looking to lose weight, because building muscle also boosts your metabolism. Also ideal is the stress relief MMA provides, which transfers into your personal and work life in Washington, MO, providing you with a needed outlet for negative emotions and energy. Consistent stress is bad for both your body and mind in Washington, MO.
Give us a call to start Washington, MO MMA classes near you and join the Gracie Barra Washington family right away at 636-266-9388 or reach out to us.