MMA Classes Near Me St. Clair, MO
MMA Classes Near Me St. Clair, MO. If you want to get in great shape and meet your ideal weight, pedaling miles to nowhere on an exercise bike or climbing onto a treadmill a couple times a week in some St. Clair, MO gym just is not going to get the job done. You need to give Gracie Barra Washington and its mixed martial arts (MMA) classes near you a try today.
MMA integrates many forms of martial arts into a new and exciting physical challenge, burning fat and toning every muscle better than other forms of exercise you will find at the St. Clair, MO gym. Not only that, MMA classes at Gracie Barra Washington work every faction of physical fitness – building strength, endurance, and flexibility all at once.
The Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you in St. Clair, MO are an ideal way to practice the sport, learn self-defense, and develop an understanding of what is happening in the moment, both in the ring and in life. The classes are for anyone and everyone who wants to absorb and then master the ins and outs of one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Call Gracie Barra Washington as soon as possible at 636-266-9388 or contact us online.
MMA Classes Near Me in St. Clair, MO: What Exactly is MMA?
Allowing a wide variety of fighting skills and techniques from a conglomerate of other martial arts to be used in competition, MMA is a full-contact sport. The rules allow usage of both striking and grappling techniques while on the ground and/or standing. Competitions near St. Clair, MO permit athletes of different disciplines of martial arts to engage under a set of unified rules.
Although its beginnings are thought to date back to ancient Greece with pankration, MMA’s current form and style was popularized by brothers Carlos and Helio Gracie in the early 1920s. The Gracies got eyes on them by putting the “Gracie Challenge” in area newspapers, proclaiming: “If you want a broken arm, or rib, contact Carlos Gracie.” MMA first came to the attention of many the attention of many in North America after the Gracie family chose to demonstrate its trademark Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the U.S. in 1990. Helio’s son, Royce Gracie, represented the family in a 1993 tournament in Denver, Colorado, called UFC 1, referring to Ultimate Fighting Championship, the operation that quickly became a MMA heavyweight. The tournament secured 86,000 pay-per-view viewers. That amount jumped to 300,000 by the third event.
Originally decried by critics as a brutal bloodsport without any regulations — the late politician John McCain once referred to MMA as “human cockfighting” and tried to have it banned — the sport moderately got rid of its no-holds-barred persona and has developed into one of the world’s fastest growing spectator sports. Once on the verge of extinction in 2001, the UFC now has an estimated value of $9-10 billion.
Gracie Barra is home to the world’s best MMA team, providing MMA classes near you in St. Clair, MO with programs for men, teens, and kids. The Gracie institution features over 400 gyms in North America and 900 worldwide, and your membership opens the door to any of them. Call us now to get started in Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes at 636-266-9388 or contact us.
Along with our MMA classes, Gracie Barra Washington offers the following programs to our St. Clair, MO neighbors:
MMA Classes Near Me in St. Clair, MO: What Techniques Does MMA Borrow From?
Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you, your entire body will be trained and toned, while learning how to personally mix some of the world’s most efficient fighting styles into one discipline that you can utilize in the ring during competitions near St. Clair, MO or for self-defense. MMA is the blend of attacks, the mixture of martial arts that consistently keep students on their toes. Our MMA classes near you in St. Clair, MO assimilate methods from the following styles:
- Boxing – Known as the “sweet science,” St. Clair, MO boxers use detailed foot maneuvers and quick jabs for offense.
- Wrestling – Considered the oldest sport throughout the world, the premise of wrestling is a contestant fights hand-to-hand, attempting to throw or take down their opponent without strikes. Some wrestling styles include freestyle, Greco-Roman, and catch-as-catch-can.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu – Our namesake Carlos Gracie opened the original Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 1925. He taught the skills he picked up from Japanese judo master Mitsuyo Esai Maeda. Those skills were later modified to use less energy and to be more effective against larger opponents, an obvious advantageous adoption for MMA classes near St. Clair, MO.
- Jiu-Jitsu – An ancient Japanese martial art that encompasses throwing, joint locks, striking, and even weapons training.
- Judo – A Japanese martial art founded in 1882 by Jigoro Kano and derived from Jiu Jitsu. Judo is now an Olympic sport highlighting throws. Attacking is prohibited, which is great as a practical instructing tool for new students in our MMA classes near you in St. Clair, MO.
- Karate – The name used to identify a variety of Okinawan and Japanese martial arts. While known for powerful, linear techniques — a lot of which have been acclimated into MMA fighting — a bunch of karate styles also include lighter, rounded styles. Some of the common styles of karate are:
- Kickboxing – A lively martial art merging boxing punches and martial arts kicks. Various different styles with contradicting rules exist, such as Muay Thai, full-contact karate, and Lethwei.
- Kung Fu – Also known as Gung Fu, Chinese Boxing, and Wu Shu. There are hundreds of styles of Kung Fu, some practiced near St. Clair, MO, and the multitude are patterned after movements of animals.
- Taekwondo – Probably the practiced martial arts in the world, Taekwondo is a Korean technique known for its garish kicking moves.
MMA Classes Near Me in St. Clair, MO: How Does MMA Teach Me Self-Defense?
MMA classes near you at Gracie Barra Washington give you the confidence you need to protect yourself. Self-defense is as much about training as it is about strength and size in St. Clair, MO. The biggest, beefiest person in the St. Clair, MO area can still lose a confrontation if he’s not trained properly. Using the best techniques from the martial arts listed above MMA is the ultimate fighting method around St. Clair, MO, combined to give you exactly what you need to defend yourself the ones you love in any situation. You will be ready for whatever dangers you encounter the in St. Clair, MO area, based on the training and sparring in our classes near St. Clair, MO.
Movement is power in any confrontation. You can’t stand around waiting for your attacker’s next strike, you must move. And quickly. Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you in St. Clair, MO help build a fighter’s reflex, which permits you to move smartly and quickly in any position. You will know precisely where/when to move and where/when to throw your strike.
Reach Out to the Home of the Top MMA Classes Near Me in St. Clair, MO | Gracie Barra Washington
The Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you in St. Clair, MO combine a calorie-burning and cardiovascular workout, burning up to 1,000 calories an hour, with muscle toning. That is the perfect combination for newcomers who are looking to lose weight, because building muscle also boosts your metabolism. Also ideal is the stress relief MMA provides, which carries over into your personal and work life in St. Clair, MO, providing you with a necessary outlet for negative emotions and energy. Constant stress is bad for both your mind and body in St. Clair, MO.