MMA Classes Near Me Villa Ridge, MO
MMA Classes Near Me Villa Ridge, MO. If you want to get in great shape and meet your ideal weight, pedaling miles to nowhere on an exercise bike or climbing onto a treadmill a few times a week in some Villa Ridge, MO gym just is not going to suffice. You need to give Gracie Barra Washington and its mixed martial arts (MMA) classes near you a try today.
MMA combines many forms of martial arts into an exciting and new physical challenge, toning every muscle and burning fat better than other methods of exercise you will find at the Villa Ridge, MO gym. Not only that, the Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes work every faction of physical fitness – building strength, flexibility and endurance all at once.
The Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you in Villa Ridge, MO are an ideal way to practice the sport, learn self-defense, and develop an appreciation of what is happening in the moment, both in the ring and in life. The classes are for everyone and anyone who wants to grasp and then master the ins and outs of one of the fastest growing disciplines in the world. Call Gracie Barra Washington right away at 636-266-9388 or contact us online.
MMA Classes Near Me in Villa Ridge, MO: What Exactly is MMA?
Allowing a wide variety of fighting techniques and skills from a conglomerate of other martial arts to be used in competition, MMA is a full-contact sport. The rules allow usage of both grappling and striking techniques while standing and/or on the ground. Competitions near Villa Ridge, MO permit athletes of varying disciplines of martial arts to engage under a set of unified rules.
Although its origins are believed to date back to ancient Greece with pankration, MMA’s present form and style was popularized by brothers Carlos and Helio Gracie in the early 1920s. The Gracies got eyes on them by putting the “Gracie Challenge” in area newspapers, proclaiming: “If you want a broken arm, or rib, contact Carlos Gracie.” MMA first came to the attention of many the attention of many in North America after the Gracie family chose to showcase its trademark Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu in the U.S. in 1990. Helio’s son, Royce Gracie, represented the family in a 1993 tournament in Denver, Colorado, called UFC 1, referring to Ultimate Fighting Championship, the organization that quickly became a MMA behemoth. The competition attracted 86,000 pay-per-view viewers. That amount increased to 300,000 by the third event.
Originally denounced by critics as a barbaric bloodsport without any rules — the late politician John McCain once called MMA “human cockfighting” and sought to have it banned — the sport moderately got rid of its no-holds-barred image and has become one of the world’s fastest growing spectator sports. Once on the precipice of extinction in 2001, the UFC now has an estimated value of $9-10 billion.
Gracie Barra is home to the world’s premier MMA team, offering MMA classes near you in Villa Ridge, MO with programs for men, teens, and kids. The Gracie institution features over 400 gyms in North America and 900 worldwide, and your membership gets you into any of them. Call us now to begin Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes at 636-266-9388 or contact us.
In addition to our MMA classes, Gracie Barra Washington offers the following programs to our Villa Ridge, MO neighbors:
MMA Classes Near Me in Villa Ridge, MO: What Techniques Does MMA Borrow From?
Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you, your entire body will be toned and trained, while learning how to personally merge some of the world’s most efficient fighting techniques into one speciality that you can utilize in self-defense or in the ring during competitions near Villa Ridge, MO. MMA is the mixture of martial arts, the blend of attacks that consistently keep fighters on their toes. Our MMA classes near you in Villa Ridge, MO incorporate methods from the following styles:
- Boxing – Known as the “sweet science,” Villa Ridge, MO boxers use detailed foot maneuvers and quick jabs for offense.
- Wrestling – Considered the world’s oldest sport, the basis of wrestling is a contestant battles hand-to-hand, trying to throw or pin their opponent without hitting or kicking. Some wrestling modes include freestyle, Greco-Roman, and catch-as-catch-can.
- Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu – Our founder Carlos Gracie opened the original Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil in 1925. He taught the skills he picked up from Japanese judo master Mitsuyo Esai Maeda. Those skills were later altered to use less energy and to be more effective against bigger opponents, an evident advantageous adoption for MMA classes near Villa Ridge, MO.
- Jiu-Jitsu – An ancient Japanese martial art that encompasses throwing, joint locks, striking, and even weapons training.
- Judo – A Japanese martial art founded in 1882 by Jigoro Kano and derived from Jiu Jitsu. Judo is now an Olympic sport highlighting throws. Attacking is banned, which is great as a practical teaching tool for newcomers in our MMA classes near you in Villa Ridge, MO.
- Karate – The term used to identify a variety of Japanese and Okinawan martial arts. While known for powerful, linear techniques — many of which have been adapted into MMA fighting — a bunch of karate styles also incorporate softer, circular styles. Some of the common styles of karate include:
- Kickboxing – A lively martial art merging martial arts kicks with boxing punches. Various different styles with differing rules exist, such as Muay Thai, full-contact karate, and Lethwei.
- Kung Fu – Commonly known as Gung Fu, Chinese Boxing, and Wu Shu. There are hundreds of styles of Kung Fu, some practiced near Villa Ridge, MO, and the multitude are patterned after animal movements.
- Taekwondo – Probably the practiced martial arts in the world, Taekwondo is a Korean style known for its flashy kicking maneuvers.
MMA Classes Near Me in Villa Ridge, MO: How Does MMA Teach Me Self-Defense?
MMA classes near you at Gracie Barra Washington give you the self-confidence necessary to protect yourself. Self-defense is as much about correct training as it is about strength and size in Villa Ridge, MO. The biggest, beefiest person in the Villa Ridge, MO area can still lose a battle if he’s not trained properly. MMA is the ultimate fighting method because it uses the best techniques from the various martial arts above, combined to give you precisely what you need to defend yourself the ones you love in any circumstance. You will be ready for whatever dangers you encounter the in Villa Ridge, MO area, based on the sparring and training in our classes near Villa Ridge, MO.
In any confrontation, movement is power. You cannot stand around waiting for your opponent’s next strike, you need to move. And quickly. Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you in Villa Ridge, MO help develop a fighter’s reflex, which allows you to move quickly and smartly in any position. You will know precisely where/when to move and where/when to throw your strike.
Reach Out to the Home of the Best MMA Classes Near Me in Villa Ridge, MO | Gracie Barra Washington
The Gracie Barra Washington MMA classes near you in Villa Ridge, MO combine a calorie-burning and cardiovascular workout, burning up to 1,000 calories every class, with muscle building and toning. That’s the perfect pairing for students who want to lose weight, because building muscle also increases your metabolism. Also advantageous is the stress relief MMA provides, which carries over into your work and personal life in Villa Ridge, MO, providing you with a needed outlet for negative emotions and energy. Constant stress is bad for both your mind and body in Villa Ridge, MO.